Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everything Film, Pre/Post Production and more for the Freestyle Scooter Community.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How to Color Correct properly?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
CarterEbrey

CarterEbrey

How to Color Correct properly? Empty
PostSubject: How to Color Correct properly?   How to Color Correct properly? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 9:41 pm

What are the low, mid, and high's in Color Correcting? How do they change the picture? What is the correct part to tweak to bring out a color in the foreground or the background? What are some general tips to color correcting the right way?
Back to top Go down
Patrick Cullings

Patrick Cullings

PostSubject: Re: How to Color Correct properly?   How to Color Correct properly? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 11:57 pm

I want to know more about this as well.
Back to top Go down
Blake

Blake

PostSubject: Re: How to Color Correct properly?   How to Color Correct properly? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 11:57 pm

Same with me Smile
Back to top Go down
StephenDiaz

StephenDiaz

PostSubject: Re: How to Color Correct properly?   How to Color Correct properly? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 8:14 am

what programs are you guys using?

in apple programs it's blacks mids and whites, i'm guessing it's the same like low = blacks high = whites..

color correction is just what the name says it is, correcting the colors. because the camera is not like our eye, sometimes it takes in colors differently. a lot of people get color correcting confused with visual styling, when yes you can add a certain "look" to a video through color correction, but should be used to correct the colors first.

for example, say you film a caucasian dude with black hair standing next to a white wall. the white wall is the highs, the dude's skin is the mids (somewhat), and his hair is the lows. you then look at the clip and look at the individual parts and see if they are true to the color they should be. if you white balanced before you filmed you should be good, but if not, then the colors will be distorted slightly. so that is how to color correct somewhat properly...if you want to get super technical you can start to look at the color mapping and all those other diagrams/histograms that i barely understand.

another reason you CC is to make your clips look similar (if that's what you're going for). like say you film something on two separate days but you want it to look like it's the same day, through color correcting you could make sure the color in both clips looks similar (this is where the histograms come in handy)

i learned a tonnn from tutorials on youtube or creativecow. search "how to color correct in [insert your editing platform here]" and you will learn tons guaranteed!!

basically if you white balance your camera and don't want any certain colorized looks to ur films then the only thing i use color correction for is to add depth (crush your blacks a little, and up your whites) and either desaturate slightly or saturate slightly.

hope all that made sense..def check out some tutorials cause you'll learn way more than i could ever type
Back to top Go down
http://stephendiaz.com
CarterEbrey

CarterEbrey

PostSubject: Re: How to Color Correct properly?   How to Color Correct properly? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 1:05 am

Alright thanks Steven, your right I learned about half of that on YouTube and the other half I just learned Smile
Back to top Go down
Blake

Blake

PostSubject: Re: How to Color Correct properly?   How to Color Correct properly? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 2:33 am

Good rule of thumb, your better off getting the best clip you can then having to edit it later.
Back to top Go down
StephenDiaz

StephenDiaz

PostSubject: Re: How to Color Correct properly?   How to Color Correct properly? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 1:04 am

yo just remembered this video my buddy zack made. helps a little if you're new to color correction

http://vimeo.com/4133569
Back to top Go down
http://stephendiaz.com
Spencer Steed

PostSubject: Re: How to Color Correct properly?   How to Color Correct properly? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 4:42 am

Not exactly true blake, alot of people prefer shooting in a more of neutral colors. Then in post you can fix it up to your liking. Its harder to fix an over saturated mess than a dull shot.
Back to top Go down
Blake

Blake

PostSubject: Re: How to Color Correct properly?   How to Color Correct properly? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 5:02 am

That's quite true if you can't possibly think of what kind of colour you want. But my theory still stands high if you know what colour you want, its best to get it like that before hand than trying to do it in post production. Same goes for audio.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to Color Correct properly?   How to Color Correct properly? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to Color Correct properly?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Editing Room :: Video Editing-
Jump to: