Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everything Film, Pre/Post Production and more for the Freestyle Scooter Community.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

New to filming?

Go down 
+7
StephenDiaz
anticee23
Liam Whittle
ColterLammey
RyanUpchurch
Alex Liston
Josh Young
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Josh Young

New to filming? Empty
PostSubject: New to filming?   New to filming? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 12:33 am

So if you new to filming or you looking to get into filming here are a few tips..

DONT get the most expensive camera or a VX just because it has a handle or becuase pro filmers use it and you want to look cool. I cant tell you how bad you will be made fun of if you have a badass camera and you dont know how to use it. If your looking to buy a camera start off with something smaller and that wont cost you an arm and a leg. I would say a canon HV or panasonic gs series camera. There kinda cheap, have pretty good picture if you mess with the manual settings and there are good fisheyes for them. Learn how to use your manual settings it makes a world of a difference when it comes to the colors! Dont keep your fisheye on all the time just becuase it looks cool. Long lens can look alot cooler if you look around for good angles and use the zoom correctly. I guess these are just some basic things to start off with. There are tons of things you can do with filming, so do something creative and original with it!

Back to top Go down
Alex Liston

New to filming? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to filming?   New to filming? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 2:25 am

Whats a good fish eye for those cameras?
Back to top Go down
RyanUpchurch

New to filming? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to filming?   New to filming? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 2:31 am

the century optics baby death, which is about 300 depending on the size of your lens threads. what i have and is more common due to the cost, is the opteka .3x fisheye which you can snag for 100 if your using a camera/camcorder with 37mm lens threads such as a canon hg20.
Back to top Go down
ColterLammey

New to filming? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to filming?   New to filming? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 6:20 pm

The 0.3x Opteka is a really Good fisheye for the money. I used one for a while and I loved it.
Back to top Go down
Josh Young

New to filming? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to filming?   New to filming? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 pm

just get the opteka exp. if you just getting into filming. you wont know the difference between the century and the opteka
Back to top Go down
Liam Whittle

New to filming? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to filming?   New to filming? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 4:10 am

I was just wondering whats a good first camera to start practicising filming that wont cost more than 500 AUD
Back to top Go down
anticee23

New to filming? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to filming?   New to filming? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 5:04 am

liam , i juss got myself a jvc everio hm300 . it was like 300 USD , its soo awesomee hhaah. im a beginner soo i thinkk that might be a good beginner cam haha. its HD tooo!
Back to top Go down
Josh Young

New to filming? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to filming?   New to filming? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 9:03 am

personally just starting out and you dont wanna spend alot you cant go wrong with any sony handycam thats a mini dv. there supppper cheap just creep around ebay. sony and panasonic are the brands to go with in the camera game. canon is alright to just as long as its like a HV series or somethin
Back to top Go down
Liam Whittle

New to filming? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to filming?   New to filming? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 10:46 am

Cheers lads.
Back to top Go down
ColterLammey

New to filming? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to filming?   New to filming? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 5:25 pm

Make sure it has threads before you buy it if you ever want to use a fish/wide angle lens. I once bought a camera without threads.... it sucked haha
Back to top Go down
Josh Young

New to filming? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to filming?   New to filming? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 5:45 pm

yea good call colter. alot of these cheapy bullshit cameras dont have them nowadays. its so stupid. but if you did and worst came to worst you could always super glue a step up/down or spacer ring onto your camera. i had to do that once. haha
Back to top Go down
StephenDiaz

StephenDiaz

New to filming? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to filming?   New to filming? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 7:43 pm

Josh Young wrote:
yea good call colter. alot of these cheapy bullshit cameras dont have them nowadays. its so stupid. but if you did and worst came to worst you could always super glue a step up/down or spacer ring onto your camera. i had to do that once. haha

haha dang that's ghetto.

ya i'd say some tips for beginner filmers that i wish i had back then is:

1: get some sort of stabilization whether it be a tripod or monopod. I personally use this monopod i got at walmart (for like 10 bucks!) and it works soooo good. you can hang your camera upside down on it and get really smooth (for example this video was filmed all on an upside down monopod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsGMOIyvzw0&hd=1) and that was me walking with it too, imagine how much smoother it'd be if you were rolling on a skateboard! also i like mono's because you can move around with them and set them up really quickly. I would even go as far to say, if your camera doesn't have a handle..don't film anything handheld without some sort of stabilization, it's just too shaky and that can really distract what's going on. even when i'm filming normally i'll have my monopod at it's shortest setting and brace it on my belt or knee.

2: linger. what i mean by this is when you see a shot or get a shot, don't just whip the camera to something else right away. wait a good 5-10 seconds after you've gotten your shot just holding the camera still (i even count in my head sometimes). this allows freedom in the edit to put in transitions without it being shaky and nasty looking. also, if you're filming stuff that doesn't have action in it (like a tree or something) i usually count slowly to at least 10 before moving on. if feels like forever, but it's not. both these things just really make the editor's job easier.

3: youtube. you can learn almost anything on youtube, take advantage of it. search "filmmaking tips" or "editing tips" something like that. I go to school for film, but i really have learned a majority of what i know from youtube and experimentation.
Back to top Go down
http://stephendiaz.com
ColterLammey

New to filming? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to filming?   New to filming? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 10:13 pm

StephenDiaz wrote:

1: get some sort of stabilization whether it be a tripod or monopod. I personally use this monopod i got at walmart (for like 10 bucks!) and it works soooo good. you can hang your camera upside down on it and get really smooth (for example this video was filmed all on an upside down monopod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsGMOIyvzw0&hd=1) and that was me walking with it too, imagine how much smoother it'd be if you were rolling on a skateboard! also i like mono's because you can move around with them and set them up really quickly. I would even go as far to say, if your camera doesn't have a handle..don't film anything handheld without some sort of stabilization, it's just too shaky and that can really distract what's going on. even when i'm filming normally i'll have my monopod at it's shortest setting and brace it on my belt or knee.

That is awesome, I'll have to try that
Back to top Go down
Steve Moore

New to filming? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to filming?   New to filming? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 3:41 pm

Would these be a good camera? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007QN87O/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller= I have had a Sony Handycam for about two years now, but would like to move up a little bit.
Back to top Go down
LukeMaff

New to filming? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to filming?   New to filming? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 9:17 am

If im not mistaken the whole idea about this forum is to improve scooter videos? Not only do people need to start filming good, they need better cameras, what kind of respect will we get from the crap quality with the shitty fisheye videos?
Back to top Go down
Josh Young

New to filming? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to filming?   New to filming? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 9:57 am

haha true that my friend. just save up and get a opteka baby death (37mm) dont buy anything else besides maybe a kenko if those are even still around. haha there mad cheap but ok i guess
Back to top Go down
LukeMaff

New to filming? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to filming?   New to filming? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 10:37 am

I just think baby death, I have not regretted one thing when getting one.
Back to top Go down
brody01134

New to filming? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to filming?   New to filming? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 11:17 pm

i just snagged a jvc gz-hm300 brand new for $170 off b and h photo. really good for the price
Back to top Go down
jordan1

New to filming? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to filming?   New to filming? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 8:52 pm

i just got a sony hdrcx 150 im okish at filming and i think its great to learn how to film with and its 1080 hd wich is also nice Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New to filming? Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to filming?   New to filming? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New to filming?
Page 1 of 1